Join the Research Committee
TMS Research Committee Volunteer Positions
If you are interested in becoming a member of The Mastocytosis Society Research Committee and meet the requirements, please submit your CV/resume to email@example.com. TMS will contact qualified applicants as positions become available. The Mastocytosis Society (TMS) Research Committee activities are listed below.
Requirements and Preferences
Candidates must have a background in biological or medical sciences, especially cancer biology, immunology, mast cell biology, nursing, general medicine, health sciences or public health, medical informatics, allergy, gastroenterology, dermatology, hematology/oncology, cardiology, endocrinology, pathology, pharmacology or pediatrics/any of the above pediatric sub-specialty areas. Individuals with a background in scientific writing will also be highly considered. Basic computer skills are required including proficiency in MS Word and Excel. Use of Endnote and/or other reference article management software would be helpful (experience using MS Access also a plus).
Minimum educational requirements are a BS or BA from an accredited institution, MS/MA or doctorate preferred. Candidates must be skilled in reading and understanding medical and/or scientific research studies, with the ability to convey such information to our mast cell disorder community, which includes individuals without scientific backgrounds. The time commitment is variable and flexible and will depend on volunteer availability.
TMS Research Committee Activities
- Review of literature, current research and mast cell disorder medical advances to help facilitate updating and development of TMS educational material and in order to serve as scientific advisors to TMS Board of Directors (BOD)
- Attend medical conference scientific sessions [currently the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) and American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meetings] and report relevant information to TMS BOD and our mast cell disorder community
- Respond to research committee patient/other interested party inquiries as applicable
- Maintain a medical/research article database for use by the research committee
- Develop and maintain content for the Research section of TMS website
- Review of research grant proposals for TMS funding
- TMS Patient survey data analysis and article preparation for publication; administration of the survey database and identification of areas in which this survey data or any future surveys might be useful
- Review of prospective Medical Advisory Board (MAB) members for TMS BOD
- Interact with TMS MAB members, other medical professionals/researchers, research institutions, industry and related government organizations on behalf of TMS
- Work in collaboration with physicians from the AAAAI, the AAAAI Mast Cell Disorders Committee, ASH and other specialist physicians to establish a US Network for Mast Cell Disorders, including a possible patient registry associated with this initiative
- Other research-related activities that would benefit patients and TMS, as they are identified